Photos: 13 Remo Stars Players Suffer Food Poisoning After Eating Plates Of Semovita And Egusi

Remo Stars

Players of Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) side Remo Stars were involved in a food poisoning incident as they were billed to face FC Ifeanyiubah on Sunday.

A statement from the Sagamu-based club indicates that 13 first-team players, including their leading scorer, Victor Mbaoma, Ekene Awazie and Salefu Ochowechi are very sick with food poisoning.

The club secretary, Michael Onikute, told supersport.com that 13 first-team players are mostly affected by the incident which happened between Saturday night and early yesterday morning.

“I was called up in the wee hours of Sunday morning to be told there was a problem in our camp. We later found out that players had suffered food poisoning after we took them to the Ikenne General Hospital as first a precautionary measure.

“At least 13 of our first-team players and an official are affected by this. They ate semovita (Nigerian delicacy made from millet and corn) and Egusi soup last night.

“The only we did at the camp about two or three days ago was fumigate the area since we noticed the high rate of mosquitoes and then drain the swimming pool as well,” Onikute explained.

Some of the other affected players include Umar Martaba, Oknuoghae Osas, Edozie Ewelike, Onovo David, Ekene Awazie, Abiodun Awoyemi, Ekene Obi, Saidu Muhammed, Paul Isaac the reserve goalkeeper, David Walbe, Shuji Oshobe, and Akeem Taiwo.

The only official affected by the incident is goalkeeping coach Dahiru Ilu.


The League Management Company (LMC), which oversees the running of the NPFL, is expected to announce a new date for the Remo Stars versus FC Ifeanyiubah fixture.

 

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *