Fire guts rooms in UNILAG medical hostel

Fire gutted two rooms in a male hostel in the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Idi Araba, on Wednesday.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the fire started from room 648 and spread to room 647 on the third floor of Block 6 Alliakilu Hostel. The fire caused pandemonium in the hostel.

One of the occupants of room 648 told one of our correspondents that they were not able to salvage any of their property.

The student, who craved anonymity, said, “Around 10am, I was playing basketball when I saw students running all over the place. When I got to the hostel, I noticed that it was my room that was on fire.


“We tried to put out the fire but it was so intense that it soon spread to the next room. The fire was raging because we couldn’t get a fire extinguisher which was in the hostel manager’s room.

“Also, there’s no water on the third floor so students had to go downstairs to get water which we used in fighting the fire.”

The student added that some minutes later, they were able to get fire extinguishers and attempted to put out the fire.

It was learnt that a commercial motorcycle operator, who had come to assist in dousing the flames sustained eye injury and was immediately rushed to Lagos University Teaching Hospital within the premises.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *