FIRE GUTS OBJ’S HOUSE

BARELY 24 hours after fire gutted a part of Jankara Market in Lagos, where properties worth millions of naira were destroyed, an office section within the multi-billion naira Hilltop private residence of former President Olusegun Obasanjo in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, was gutted by fire on Thursday.
Nigerian Tribune gathered that the inferno started at about 4.45 p.m. and lasted for an hour. The prompt intervention of the Rescue Team of the Ogun State command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) was said to have put the situation under control.
The fire incident, according to a source who pleaded anonymity, was caused by an electrical spark which destroyed vital documents, computer sets and other office appliances.

Two trucks of the state Fire Service marked OG 122 AO9 and OG 127 AO9 arrived at the scene of the incident 30 minutes after a distress call was put through to the outfit.
Men of the state police command and the State Security Service were also on  the ground to ensure that the situation did not get out of hand.
The fire, it was gathered, started from an office wing and spread across other sections of the building.
One of the early callers at the Hilltop mansion was the state Commissioner of Police, Ikemefuna Okoye; the state Director, State Security Services, Mr Joseph Okoh and former Minister of Finance, Chief Onaolapo Soleye.
Others were officials of the state government.
Reacting, Obasanjo, flanked by his wife, Bola and other relatives, said that it was his secretary’s office that was gutted by fire and not his entire house.
“I hope all of you understand Yoruba. It was only my secretary’s office that was affected by the fire and not the entire building as you can see for yourself. Thank you,” he said.
Scores of other symphatisers were also on the ground to sympathise with the former president who received them as they came. 

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *