10 Year Old Boy Bitten By The World Deadliest Spider (Funnel Web Spider), In Australia Makes Incredible Recovery After Record Anti-Venom Dose

Funnel Web Spider

A 10 year old boy in Australian makes incredible recovery after being bitten by the world’s deadliest spider, (The Funnel Web Spider).

The miraculous recovery started after he was administered 12 vials of anti-venom, the largest dose ever given to a patient in the country’s medical history.

Matthew Mitchell was helping his dad clear out the back shed at their home north of Sydney when he was bitten on the finger by a funnel-web spider, that had been lurking in his shoe.


“It sort of clawed onto me and all the legs and everything crawled around my finger and I couldn´t get it off,”Mitchell was reported saying

He was then rushed to the hospital and was discharged a day later, wowing wildlife experts.

“I’ve never heard of it, it’s incredible,” said Tim Faulkner, a wildlife expert. “And to walk out of hospital a day later with no effects is a testament to the antivenom.”
Describing the bite, Mitchell told the Australian Daily Telegraph: “It [the spider] sort of clawed onto me and all the legs and everything crawled around my finger and I couldn’t get it off.”
Darren Mitchell, the father of the boy, said: ‘He went from pain in his finger until getting the tingling up his arm … but he stayed conscious the whole time.”
The spider was caught and taken to the Australian Reptile Park where it will be milked as part of their program to develop anti-venom.
The funnel-web is considered the most deadliest spider in the world as it’s fast-acting venom can kill within 15 minutes.

According to the Australian Museum, no confirmed deaths have occurred from a funnel web spider bite since an antivenom was introduced in 1981.

Funnel Web Spider
The Funnel Web Spider

 

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *